Saturday, February 03, 2007

Sand-witches

“where?”
“right there.”
“what? where?”
“just there.
it’s not that hard to find.”

“no, not here,
there.”
“scoot a bit to your left,
nope too much,
you’re gonna have to move back a bit.”
“hey shove off. your jacket sleeve is crossing over.”
“yeah. get your bag out of the way while you’re at it.”

“so just leave it in the oven for about forty minutes,
just to let the sambal soak into the roast.
too short and not enough sambal.
too long and not enough roast.
but when you’ve got it, you’ve got it.
funny thing though.
the flavour will flip continuously.
it can confuse your taste buds,
but to some,
it’s a delicacy.”

“stay there.
yes.
stay…
don’t move…
okay.
now roll over…
good, good.
and…sit.”

“this is fun isn’t it?”
“yep, it sure gets the heart pumping.”
“I always feel so good afterwards.”
“yeah apparently it’s the endorphins.”
“hm. must be.”

“ooh that was a good one,
go on give it another whack.”
“I think it’s working,
I don’t see much anymore.”
“try scraping it.”
“hm not very effective,
the whacking seems to get more off.”

“how desperately do you want this?
“very very much I do.”
“well why do you want this then?”
“to get…experience?
yes, experience in the field.
…and to see what it’s like for myself, instead of only hearing it from others.
I guess I really want to be able to say that yes I have done this before.”
“how do you suppose you will achieve this?”
“through hard work, initiation, determination.
and hope.”
“what if it isn’t what you thought it would be?”
“well at least I would have made that judgement on my own.”

“oh, don’t you wish it could be?”
“I don’t know.”
“I wonder how things would have been.
would there have been laughter? Tears?”
“I don’t know.”
“haven’t you thought about it at all?”
“I don’t know.”
“haven’t you ever lay awake at night thinking about it?
and that being the only thing that can put you to sleep without fail?”
“I don’t know.”
“you know, sometimes I just wish I could read in between your phrase of ‘I don’t know’.”
of course, all the time.”

“are you cold?”
“yes.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home